Thursday 1 March 2018

Today is Medin Poya: Sangha Day!




'Medin Poya day is the full-moon of March.

This holy day celebrates that the Buddha visits his parental home after his supreme Enlightenment, and ordains his son prince Rāhula, and also his half-brother Nanda.

This day is also called: The Sangha Day, since on this full-moon 1250 Arahants spontaneously assembled around the Buddha without any invitation.

Buddha then spoke the famous Ovada Patimokkha core teaching!

On such Full-Moon Uposatha Poya Observance days:

Any Lay Buddhist simply join the Three Refuges and undertakes the Five Precepts like this:

Newly bathed, shaved, white-clothed, with clean bare feet, one kneels at a shrine with a Buddha-statue, and bows first three times, so that feet, hands, elbows, knees and head touch the floor. Then, with joined palms at the heart, one recites these memorized lines in a loud, calm and steady voice:

As long as this life lasts:
I hereby take refuge in the Buddha.
I hereby take refuge in the Dhamma.
I hereby take refuge in the Sangha.
I hereby seek shelter in the Buddha for the 2nd time.
I hereby seek shelter in the Dhamma for the 2nd time.
I hereby seek shelter in the Sangha for the 2nd time.
I hereby request protection from the Buddha for the 3rd time.
I hereby request protection from the Dhamma for the 3rd time.
I hereby request protection from the Sangha for the 3rd time.
I will hereby respect these Three Jewels the rest of my life!

I accept to respect, keep and undertake these 5 training rules:
I hereby accept and undertake the training rule of avoiding all Killing.
I hereby accept and undertake the training rule of avoiding all Stealing.
I hereby accept and undertake the training rule of avoiding all Sexual Abuse.
I hereby accept and undertake the training rule of avoiding all Lying and Cheating.
I hereby accept and undertake the training rule of avoiding all Alcohol and Drugs.'

-- Paraphrased: Bhikkhu Samahita's email.

No comments:

Post a Comment