There are many kinds of love, between partners, within family, between friends, ...
In Buddhism, Compassion - a part of the Four Immeasurables - is also a way of loving, it's expressed as a wish that beings should not suffer. Wisdom & Compassion lead to Enlightenment in the Mahayana Way.
In this article however, i focus on a Love between a man & a woman, between partners, involving Four Immeasurables, i focus on Enlightened Love as a way for Enlightenment.
Qualities of a perfect Love.
In my opinion:
* Perfect Love between a man & a woman should involve the Four Immeasurables,
* Perfect Love should be True, Sincere & Honest, should not toy with partner's feelings, should not manipulate,
* Perfect Love should be unconditional, oriented on giving, without envy, without mistrust, finding joy in partner's freedom & joy,
* Perfect Love should have no intent on leaving partner, should be with intent to stay together at least until death of one of partners,
* Perfect Love should involve a couple helping others as well, instead of focusing on benefits on closest family solely,
* Perfect Love should lead to spiritual growth, should be meaningful,
* Perfect Love should be Enlightening, therefore indestructible & beneficial.
... i hope that - as time flows - i'll discover more qualities of the Enlightened Love.
See also, if You wish: Kinds of Love.
Examples in our Sangha.
Both HH Buddha Karmapa 17th Trinley Thaye Dorje, as well as Lama Ole Nydahl are married.
Love is obviously important to our Leaders, we have a lot of Love in our Sangha - not everyone thinks that married Buddha is something detrimential.
May all beings have happines and causes of happiness,
May they be free from suffering and the cause of suffering,
May they always experience true happiness, which is totally free from suffering,
May they remain in the great equanimity, which is beyond attachment and aversion.
OM MAHAKALAYE SOHA
OM A RA PA CA NA DHIH
OM MANI PEME HUNG
OM AMI DEWA HRI
OM KALACHAKRA SOHA
OM AH HUNG BENZA GURU PEMA SIDDHI HUNG
Namaste, blessed be.